New York - Prosecutors aren’t quite finished investigating campaign finance violations by President Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer.
U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III agreed Tuesday to keep search warrant materials related to the investigation of Michael Cohen under seal until July 15 after prosecutors submitted a letter last week explaining why the probe continues. That letter remains sealed.
Pauley cited “ongoing aspects” of the government’s investigation as he directed prosecutors to identify in July what individuals or entities remain subject to continuing probes and explain any need for continued redaction.
Cohen, 52, is serving a three-year prison sentence after admitting a role in paying off two women. Assuming good behavior, Cohen would be released in December 2021.
Cohen and federal prosecutors said Trump directed the payments. The president said that payments were “a simple private transaction,” not a campaign contribution.
The search warrants preceded raids on Cohen’s homes and office in April 2018.
Media organizations previously persuaded the judge to release much of the material related to the warrants, but not the sections related to the campaign finance investigation.
It remains unclear exactly what part of the campaign finance probe remains unfinished.
Prosecutors said those secret payouts were not reported as campaign contributions and violated the ban on corporate contributions and the $2,700 limit on donations by an individual.