NEW YORK – In an effort to make high quality Torah learning opportunities more accessible for women everywhere, the OU Women’s Initiative, a division of the Orthodox Union, is launching a new Rosh Chodesh virtual Lunch & Learn series on Sunday, August 12 at 12pm, Rosh Chodesh Elul. A new shiur of approximately thirty minutes will premiere every Rosh Chodesh at noon EST at https://www.ou.org/women/video. To register for the shiurim, visit https://www.ou.org/women/rc/.
Some of the shiurim will be pre-recorded exclusively for this series and some will be presented live. Viewers will be able to post real time questions and comments which will be moderated by the OU Women’s Initiative. All shiurim will continue to be available online after their initial debuts.
“This is our Rosh Chodesh gift,” said Rebbetzin Dr. Adina Shmidman, founding director of the OU’s Department of Women’s Initiatives. “Rosh Chodesh is a woman’s day. This monthly shiur is an opportunity for each of us to take time to recharge and reconnect.”
The talks will be given by world-renowned lecturers and Torah scholars. The schedule of Lunch & Learn shiurim is:
- August 12th – Rabbanit Shani Taragin, Educational Director of MaTaN Eshkolot
- September 5th – Rebbetzin Tzipora Weinberg, Founding Executive Director at The WELL and Rebbetzin of Kahal Lev Avos in North Woodmere, New York.
- October 9th – Mrs. Rachel Kosowsky, Tanakh Department Chair at the Berman Hebrew Academy in Rockville, MD
- November 8th – Mrs. Yael Leibowitz, Instructor at Matan Women’s Institute for Torah Learning
- December 9th – Mrs. Channah Cohen, JLIC Educator, Queens College, NY
- January 7th – Mrs. CB Neugroschl, Head of School at Yeshiva University High School for Girls (Central), Queens NY
- February 5th – Mrs. Dina Schoonmaker, Torah Educator and Student Mentor, Michlalah College, Jerusalem
- March 7th – Mrs. Esther Wein, Torah Educator, New York
- April 5th – Ms. Raizi Chechik, Head of School, Manhattan Day School, New York, NY
- May 6th – Rebbetzin Aviva Feiner, Rebbezin of Congregation Knesseth Israel and Menaheles of Machon Basya Rachel Seminary, Far Rockaway, NY
- June date and speaker will be confirmed shortly
“This series presents a world-class roster of scholars,” said Allen Fagin, Executive Vice President of the Orthodox Union. “The Women’s Initiative chose this virtual format so that women could participate in these lectures live on each Rosh Chodesh or any time after, whether they are at work, traveling or at home. Time and distance need not be a barrier to learning Torah from our most sought-after teachers.”
“The OU Women’s Initiative has already had great success in developing programming that addresses women’s needs. The Rosh Chodesh series is yet another example of the great work they are doing to help members of our community grow in Torah,” said OU President Moishe Bane.
To watch the shiurim, visit: https://www.ou.org/women/video. In addition, women are invited to visit this link to watch recordings of the previous shiurim in the series as well as to set reminders for upcoming lectures.
The Rosh Chodesh series is one of the many programs the OU Women’s Initiative is launching in its inaugural year. The Women’s Initiative recently underwrote the cost of 16 innovative programs in 11 states which support the spiritual, religious and communal growth of Orthodox Women through its Challenge Grant. It also ran a well-received Shavuot speaker series, which created and promoted high level learning opportunities presented by women on Shavuot in shuls across the country, many of which had not previously hosted women educators in this capacity. Upcoming initiatives include a multi-city Mikveh Attendant training program addressing Mikvah client medical and mental health needs; a Leil Hitorirut, a weekend of spiritual inspiration between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur with Sivan Rahav-Meir; and the creation of the Women’s Impact Institute, a leadership training program.